Sunday, July 30, 2006

Rakim - Emo's - Sept 1, 2006

Update: Previously I had Sept 3rd... Yao points out that it's the 1st! That's what I get for writing in a state of drunken stupor. :) Thanks!

Man I can hardly contain my excitement at the moment! I'm sure I won't be able to go to sleep tonight... shit... I'm gonna go out on a limb... but this will EASILY be the best show of 2006.

It's f*ckin RAKIM in AUSTIN! Booya! Not much detail's been posted... but it's at Emo's on Sept 1st... and tix are a measly $17.50... get them here. It's to be "Paid In Full".

More info:

Rakim (full name Rakim Allah, born William Michael Griffin on January 28, 1968 in Wyandanch, Long Island, New York) is an African-American rapper. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential rappers in hip hop history, and as having revolutionized hip hop lyricism with his complex flow, elaborate metaphors and rapid delivery.

Apart from possibly Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G., no other rapper has such a formidable personal legacy in hip hop music as Rakim. As music journalist Dima Leybman has observed, many recent rappers (both underground and mainstream) acknowledge a huge debt to Rakim's innovative style; one of his more prominent fans include Nas, who dedicated a song to Rakim, "U.B.R. (Unauthorized Biography of Rakim)", on his album, Street's Disciple. Tupac Shakur, The Notorious B.I.G., Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Will Smith, Lil Wayne and Eminem have all also acknowledged a great deal of respect and admiration for his work. His lyrics have been interpolated or parodied by other rappers on numerous occasions, including by Eminem ("I'm Back", "The Way I Am"), Method Man ("Fuck Them", "N 2 Gether Now"), Kool G. Rap ("Where You're At"), Canibus ("2000 B.C."), Master P ("Ghetto D"), Mos Def ("Love"), Lil Wayne ("I'm A Dboy"), Nas ("H to the Homo" Instrumental), P. Diddy ("Diddy"), Talib Kweli ("Eternalists") and Timbaland ("Try Again"). Rakim also made cameos in the Juelz Santana video "Mic Check" and the Timbaland & Magoo video "Cop That Disc". Rakim was named the number 4 greatest hip hop MC of all time by MTV. Eric B. and Rakim's classic album Paid In Full was named the greatest hip hop album of all time by MTV.

No comments: